Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

5 Common Ailments You Can Fix Yourself


Unless you are lucky enough to work for a company which allows large amount of medical claims, seeing a doctor may become expensive if you are someone who is prone to some of the ailments described below.

The next time you are down with these illnesses, you may want to try out some of the home remedies or over-the-counter products mentioned below. (**Make sure to read the medical disclaimers at the bottom of this post)

1. Mild Diarrhea

 



Drink more water to stay hydrated and do nothing besides getting rested.  But if you must try some home remedies, useful ones are listed here and here.

If you are the OTC (over-the-couter) medication-type of person, go get Pepto-Bismol or Imodium.




Always check with the pharmacist for advice before getting them as everyone's body condition varies.

2. Mild Constipation




If you are like me who loves to go for home remedies, you may want to read up some of the recommendations from this site. For severe constipation, it is highly recommended that you seek professional advice.



If you decided to go the OTC medication route, be sure to check with the pharmacist on the type of laxative to get. If you are just having a mild constipation, getting a harsh laxative may give you tummy troubles instead.

3. Running Nose/Cold




Running nose is probably the most common ailment in the whole world and since it is so common an ailment, there are really lots and lots of home remedies that can be used.

You are keen to try out some home remedies, try read up the information here and here.

For me, when it comes to running nose, I usually go for Panadol Cold Relief.

Just pop 2 tablets and a warm cup of water and the running nose stops within hours. That's just me, individual body condition varies and some of you may take a longer or shorter time to feel the effect.

4. Headaches/Migraines





I have been super prone to migraines since my late twenties and according to the many doctors I have seen, stress was almost always the culprit.

Anyway, as a quick relief, I usually go for Panadol Extra. Yup, my Panadol Hero comes to the my rescue yet again.




Again, you are keen to go for home remedies, you can read up some useful stuff here and here and here too.


5. Heartburns




Photo credit

Not everyone is familiar with heartburn even though they may be suffering from it.

I was one of these people. :) I only came to know about it after I went to see a doctor.

Ha, before that I always thought there are something wrong with my heart.

Heartburn is a form of indigestion felt as a burning sensation in the chest. Usually caused by acid regurgitation into the esophagus- a clear explanation given by our trusty Google.

There are many home remedies and I have personnally tried a few though it did not work for me. :( Again, if you are keen to try some of them, read up some of them here and here.

For me, I came to know about Gaviscon through a TV commercial and it works for me. It comes with 100 tablets and I usually bring a few with me when I dine out with friends or family.



OTC addicts, be sure to read the stuff below to be on the safe side, ya?
OTC Know-How: It's on the Label
You wouldn't ignore your doctor's instructions for using a prescription drug; so don't ignore the label when taking an OTC medicine. Here's what to look for:
  • PRODUCT NAME
  • "ACTIVE INGREDIENTS":  therapeutic substances in medicine
  • "PURPOSE":  product category (such as antihistamine, antacid, or cough suppressant)
  • "USES":  symptoms or diseases the product will treat or prevent
  • "WARNINGS":  when not to use the product, when to stop taking it, when to see a doctor, and possible side effects
  • "DIRECTIONS":  how much to take, how to take it, and how long to take it
  • "OTHER INFORMATION":   such as storage information
  • "INACTIVE INGREDIENTS":   substances such as binders, colors, or flavoring
The OTC Know-How was extracted from FDA website here.


**I am NOT a doctor by any stretch of imagination. And since some OTC medications may have an adverse interactions with other product or supplements you are taking, please make sure to check with the pharmacist of the drugstore or pharmacy you are buying from.

No comments:

Post a Comment