Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Part 1 of 6 - Six Places I MUST Visit Before I Meet My Maker

During my younger days (school days), I have always been afraid of traveling. You can't really blame me. There's so many horrible travel tragedies happening almost every other week month around the world and who's to say the plane I boarded will never go missing or explode mid air in which many parts of me will get fed to the ocean whales?

This irrational fear continues until I I turned 21. Something happened in my life and I suddenly realize that we only LIVE once. So after I become financially stable and have become more attuned to the "YOLO" (You Only Live Once) mentality, I begin taking short trips to nearby countries with friends and family members.

As I travel more and more, I caught on the travel bugs and now I look forward to at least travel once a year.

Er...what about those travel hazards and tragedies? Well, my current mentality is that if it is my time to meet my maker, so be it. I am sure if my time is up, even if I do not travel, I will still get "taken" away via other means. :D

Having traveled quite a bit over the past 10 years, I have come to the realize that there are actually a few places on earth that I must visit before I bid goodbye to this beautiful world.

I will break up these 6 places into six different posts as each of them will take up quite a bit of my time to write.

Ok, without much ado, let's get started with the 1st destination (there is no preferential order).

Furano (富良野)


Although Furano is just a small town within Hokkaido, it's land area is almost as big as Singapore. Since I am a pretty systematic person by nature, I shall break up the places to visit into 4 main categories:
  • Scenic Spots
  • Farms and Orchids
  • Studio and Factories
  • Muesums and Art Galleries

Scenic Spots


If you are someone who loves to take pictures wherever you go, visiting the below listed scenic spots will probably make your day.

Rokugo Viewing Platform / Irodori no Hiroba - Painted Plaza




This viewing platform offers you a panoramic view of the Rokugoh landscape, it overlooks the breathtaking backdrop of the great outdoors and rustic, rural Japan. Surrounding the viewing platform are fields of flowers where lavender, poppies, sunflowers, Chinese peonies, mustard flowers, cosmos and other blossoms...

Where:
Higashi-Rokugou 3, Furano-shi

How to Go:
30 minutes by car from the Furano JR Train Station

Opening Hours:
9:00AM until 5:30PM

Contact:
0167-29-2233


Asahigaoka Park




Asahigaoka park has a nick name "Namako Yama, Sea Cucumber Mountain". Here you can enjoy viewing 3000 cherry blossoms bloom in mid May. The views of downtown Furano and Mt. Tokachidake are also picturesque. In winter, Asahigaoka Park Cross Country Ski Course is available for 2km and 5km runs.

Where:
Shimo-Goryou, Furano-shi

How to Go:
10 minutes by car from JR Furano Station. Or take the Goryou or Lavender bus (bus to New Furano Price Hotel) get off at kisen and 5 minute walk

Opening Hours:
24 Hours


Farms and Orchids

 

If you have always a farm or orchid person, the places below may offer the right experience for you.

Farm Tomita



Lavender flowers and other colourful flowers are at their best in the vast natural fields. Even in the middle of winter, lavender flowers can be viewed in the warm greenhouse.
Where:
Hokusei, Nakafurano-chou

How to Go:
7 minutes on foot from JR Lavender field station

Opening Hours:
8:30AM until 6:00PM (July August) 8:30AM until 5:00PM (May June September) 9:00AM until 4:30PM (April October November) 9:30AM until 4:30PM (December through March) no closures

Contact:
0167-39-3939


Country Terrace Koropokkur



Asparagus/Strawberry/Potato harvesting, Berry jam and ice cream making, Wool mascot making, MTB rental,etc are some activities this place can offer you.

Where:
Higashi 1 sen kita 4 gou, Nakafurano-chou

Opening Hours:
Open 9:30AM until 5:00PM closure subject to change

Contact:
0167-44-2583


Flower Land Kamifurano





Pretty flowers bloom one after another from May until September. The farms choice of flowers ensures a long flowering season. This enables guests who come at anytime during the non-winter months to be able to enjoy flowers at this farm.

Where:
Nishi 5 sen Kita 27 gou, Kamifurano-chou

How to Go:
Approx 10 minutes by car from JR Kamifurano Station

Opening Hours:
Open from April until November June until August 9:00AM until 6:00PM other dates 9:00AM until 5:00PM

  

Studio and Factories

 

Glass Forest in Furano


Plenty of tableware, burner works, small articles, and accessories are displayed in the shop complex. You can try blowing glass and making other glass works.

Where:
Rokugou-Shigaichi 3, Furano-shi

Contact:
0167-39-9088


Opening Hours:
9:00AM until 6:00PM (until 7:00PM during summer time) Open year round


Furano Theatre



Keen to take a few shots in threatre? Here's your chance.

Where:
Naka-Goryou, Furano-shi

Contact:
0167-39-0333


Museums and Art Galleries

 

For me, my vacations are never complete without a visit to local art galleries and museums.

Furano Yamabe Kaleidoscope Museum


Where:
Yamabe Nishi 14 sen 2 banchi, Furano-shi

How to GO:
18 minutes by car from JR Furano Station

Opening Hours:
10:00AM 9:00PM (6:00PM until 9:00 requires reservations) No closures during Summer (May to October)

Contact:
0167-42-3303


Doll Studio & Gallery 'St. Merry'




Where:
Kitanomine-chou 24-12, Furano-shi

How to GO:
7 minutes by car from JR Furano Station

Opening Hours:
11:00AM until 5:00PM Open on Sundays from April to November

Contact:
0167-22-5369



Trick Art Museum




Where:
Miyamatouge, Kamifurano-chou

How to GO:
7 minutes by car from JR Furano Station

Opening Hours:
9:00AM~17:00PM(April,October,November)
9:00AM~18:00PM(May,September)
9:00~19:00(June,July,August)
CLOSED Tuesday(1th December~31th March)
Please check for ireguler holidays.

Contact:
0167-45-6667

Ok, this is pretty much it for Furano. Of course there are more to Furano than some of the places I listed above. Feel free to visit the site for more information.

I will post some of my photo here if I ever had the chance to visit Furano. Stay tuned for the Part 2 of this series soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment