Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Art of Letting Go

Letting go sounds so easy when we say it - giving advice to close friends, colleagues, family members.

But when it is our turn to let go, we tend to hold back.

Most of the time.



It is never easy to let go.

It's hard to let my kiddo walk and play by himself at the playground when he was two and the half of age. He may trip and fall. Other kids may push him. Unforeseen accidents always happen at the playground.

But little did I realize that he has been doing that since he started his playgroup at the childcare center. The teachers bring them out to the playground and let them roam around with or without our presence. 5 years went by without any accidents.

Most things will start and end the right way with or without our presence or involvement. I was on leave recently and happen to check my email and went through a few presentation slides of my staff - who presented our latest market research to the senior management team.

I would have added and amended  the slides the way I always wanted it, I would have tweaked and edited some of the wordings. No. I went on leave and had one of my team member do it. I did not have the chance to do anything and the whole presentation went well. Extremely well in fact. With or without my involvement and participation.

The world around us will continue to roll and evolve with or without our involvement. Thousands upon thousands of successful presentations to senior management happen everyday, without or with our involvement.

Successful events like weddings, company celebrations went well without me controlling and orchestrating.

Our involvement may make things better (the presentation slides) but it may rob others of the chance to present their best effort and work. We must learn to let go and live a more fulfilling life instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment